- Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Institute of Coastal Research, Biogeochemistry in Coastal Seas
- Universität Hamburg, Germany, Institute for Geology
- Doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.), Universität Hamburg, Germany
- Diploma in Geology and Paleontology, Universität Hamburg, Germany
Educational and Academic Career
After his education in Germany Kay Emeis worked in the United States as scientist, adjunct assistant professor and guest investigator (Texas A&M University, College Station and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Dept. of Chemistry). Back in Germany he became assistant professor at the Geological Institute of Kiel University. After his habilitation he was appointed deputy director of the Institute of Baltic Sea Research in Warnemuende (Dept. of Marine Geology) and Professor of Marine Geology and Geochemistry at the University of Greifswald. In 2004 he became full professor of Biogeochemistry at the Universität Hamburg and in 2011 a director of the Institute of Coastal Research.
- 2011 - present, Director, Institute of Coastal Research, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (formerly GKSS), Germany
- 2003 - present, Professor for Biogeochemistry, Institute for Geology, Universität Hamburg
- 1994 - 2003 Deputy head of Marine Geology Department at the Institute for Baltic Sea Research, Warnemuende, FRG and Professor of Marine Geology and Geochemistry at the Institute of Geological Sciences, University of Greifswald, FRG
- 1989 - 1994 Assistant Professor, Geologisch-Paläontologischen Institut University of Kiel 1993: Habilitation in Geology at the University of Kiel
- 1988 - 1989 Guest Investigator at the Chemistry Department, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- 1985 - 1989 Staff Scientist at the Ocean Drilling Program and Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Oceanography of Texas A&M Universität, College Station, Texas (U.S.A)
- 1982 - 1985 Doctoral student, Universität Hamburg. Dissertation on "Black shales and organic-rich sediments of the Atlantic Ocean: Reconstruction of depositional environments at DSDP Sites 530, 532 and 603"
- 1977 - 1982 Student of Geology and Paleontology Universität Hamburg, diploma