- Materials for hydrogen storage
- Hydrogen Technology: Materials and Systems for Hydrogen Storage
- Solid-Solid, Solid-Liquid, Solid-Gas Reactions in Nanostructured Materials
- Powder Metallurgy
- Plastic Deformation and Creep
- Atomistic Modelling of Materials
- Dr. rer. nat. (PhD) Universität Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany 2002.
- Dipl.-Phys. (Master degree) Universität Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany 1998.
- Vordiplom (~bachelor) Universität Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany 1994.
- Since 2014: Deputy Director of the Institute of Materials Technology and Centre for Hydrogen Technology at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
- 2013-2014: Guest Editor of the International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- Since 2012: Lecturer at Helmut-Schmidt University, Hamburg, Germany (Lecture on “Novel Materials for Renewable Energies”)
- Since 2009: Subtopic Speaker for “Materials for Hydrogen Technology” at Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
- Since 2005: Head of Nanotechnology Department, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
- Since 2005: Lecturer at Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg (Lectures on “Physics of High Temperature Strength” and “Hydrogen Technology”)
- 2003-2005: Deputy Head of Nanotechnology Department, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht,
- 2002-2003: Group Leader “ Hydrogen in Metals”, University of Göttingen
Fellowships and Awards:
- Scripta Materialia Top Cited Article 2007-2011 Award (one of 20 Most Cited articles 2007-2012 in Scripta Materialia)
- Management Committee and Steering Committee Member of the EU-COST Action MP1103: “Nanostructured Materials for solid-state hydrogen storage”, Working Group Leader: “Characterization of Hydrogen Storage Materials on lab and prototype scale”
- Member of the expert group of the International Engergy Agency -Task 32: “Hydrogen based energy storage”
- Member of the expert group of the International Engergy Agency -Task 22: “Fundamental and Applied Hydrogen Storage Materials Development”
- Fellowship of the “Friedrich-Naumann-Foundation”, 1995-1998
- Laureate of the “Ernst-Hermann Kölln Foundation”, 1991
Publications, scientific presentations:
- Researcher ID B-4391-2009 / Scopus ID 9533839200: h-index 28
- 108 articles in international journals, proceedings and book chapters; more than 2500 citations,
- ca. 80 presentations on national and international conferences/meetings; more than 40 invited talks.
- Oct 2014: Steering Committee Member of the International Conference on Hydrogen Storage Embrittlement and Applications (HY-SEA) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 26-30. Oktober 2014
- Sept 2013: Main Chair of the Symposium on Nanostructured Materials for Solid State Hydrogen Storage“ in the frame of the EMRS Fall Meetings 2013
- Jun 2012: Co-Chair Int, Symp.: “Hydrogen Storage Materials and Systems” at the 19th Wold Hydrogen Energy Conference, Toronto, Canada 2012.
- Nov 2010: Co-chair “Topical Conference on Hydrogen Storage System Engineering and Applications”, Salt Lake City, USA, 2010.
- Sept 2010: Co-Chair “Symposium on Hydrogen Storage Technology, Fuel Cells and Lithium Ion Batteries”, EMRS Fall Meeting Warsaw, 2010.
- Sept 2010: Co-Chair “Brazilian-German Forntiers of Science and Technology Symposium – BRAGFOST” Puerte Allegre, Brazil 2010.
Most important current projects:
- EU JTI Projekt – BOR4STORE (2012-2015): “Advanced borohydrides based high capacity solid state hydrogen storage materials”, third party funding: 400000 €.
- FP7-People-2013-ITN Project - ECOSTORE (2013-2017): “Novel Complex Metal Hydrides for Efficient and Compact Storage of Renewable Energy as Hydrogen and Electricity”, third party funding: 683000 €.
- EU-COST-Action (2011-2015), 200 Mitglieder: “Nanostructured materials for solid-state hydrogen storage”, Working Group Leader „Characterization of hydrogen storage materials on the laboratory and prototype scale, third party funding: travel costs to networking partners
- ERA-NET CONCERT-Japan – iTHEUS (2013-2015), 6 Partner: “Fundamental investigations on improved materials and storage concepts for a hydrogen based integrated total energy utilisation system.” Third party funding: 96000 €
- r3 – Innovative Technologien für Resourceneffizienz – Strategische Metalle und Materialien – “ATR- Trennung Aufschluss Rückgewinnung von ressourcen-relevanten Metallen aus Rückständen thermischer Prozesse mit innovativen Verfahren” (2012-2015). Third party funding: 71000 €
- Danish Research Council: HyFill-Fast (2012-2016): “Fast, efficient & high capacity hydrogen refuelling & onboard storage providing long operation range for vehicles”; third party funding: 253000 €
- Helmholtz-Chinese Academy of Science Joint Research Group (2014-2016): “Study on the synthesis, structures, and performances of complex hydride systems for reversible hydrogen storage”; third party funding: 321000 €