Dr. Nikolai Kashaev was born in 1977, got his Diploma Engineer Degree (Dipl.-Ing.) in Electric Rocket Propulsions and Power Plants with honours at the Bauman State Technical University in Moscow. While studying at the Bauman University in the year 2000 he did an additional work related to the topic “Deposition of Diamond Films by the Use of Optical Plasmatron” on his Diploma Degree at the Bremen Institute for Applied Beam Technology (BIAS) as a Russian Presidential scholar, one that allows him to continue his professional development.
After graduating from the Bauman University in 2001 he did work as a research engineer at the Foundation Institute of Material Sciences (IWT) in Bremen. At the institute he executed some research projects for the development of plasma assisted thermo chemical heat treatment processes. At the same time he completed his dissertation. After defending his dissertation in 2005 on the theme, "New Approaches to Plasma Boronizing and Plasma Nitriding”, he received a Doctor’s Degree (Dr.-Ing.) with the distinction magna cum laude.
The following five years he spent as a research engineer at Heat Treatment and Surface Technology (HOT) Service Centre in Schmoelln and Schaeffler Technology GmbH & Co. KG in Schweinfurt. Simultaneously he actively participated in research committees like the Association for Heat Treatment and Materials Technology (AWT) and the Research Association for Drive Engineering (FVA).
Since October 2010 he is the head of the Department Joining and Assessment in the Institute of Materials Research, Materials Mechanics, at Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht. His areas of interest are materials science, surface engineering, advanced welding technologies, microstructure, fatigue, residual stress and fracture assessment of welded structures.
- Kashaev, N., Pugachev, D., Ventzke, V., Fomin, F., Burkhardt, I., Enz, J., Riekehr, S.: Microstructure and mechanical performance of autogenously fibre laser beam welded Ti-6242 butt joints. Materials Science and Engineering A 694 (2017) 110-120.
- Kashaev, N., Ventzke, V., Horstmann, M., Chupakhin, S., Riekehr, S., Falck, R., Maawad, E., Staron, P., Schell, N., Huber, N.: Effects of laser shock peening on the microstructure and fatigue crack propagation behaviour of thin AA2024 specimens. International Journal of Fatigue 98 (2017) 223-233.
- Kashaev, N., Ventzke, V., Fomichev, V., Fomin, F., Riekehr, S.: Effect of Nd:YAG laser beam welding on weld morphology and mechanical properties of Ti-6Al-4V butt joints and T-joints. Optics and Lasers in Engineering 86 (2016) 172-180.
- Kashaev, N., Ventzke, V., Riekehr, S., Dorn, F., Horstmann, M.: Assessment of alternative joining techniques for Ti-6Al-4V/CFRP hybrid joints regarding tensile and fatigue strength. Materials and Design 81 (2015) 73-81.
- Liu, J., Staron, P., Riekehr, S., Stark, A., Schell, N., Huber, N., Schreyer, A., Müller, M., Kashaev, N.: In Situ Study of Phase Transformations during Laser-Beam Welding of TiAl Alloy for Grain Refinement and Mechanical Property Optimization. Intermetallics 62 (2015) 27-35.
- Kashaev, N., Riekehr, S., Erdmann, K., Carvalho, A., Nurgaliev, M., Alexopoulos, N.D., Karanika, A.: Fracture Mechanical Behaviour of Laser Beam-Welded AA2198 Butt Joints and Integral Structures. International Journal of Structural Integrity 6(6) (2015) 787-798.
- Kashaev, N., Ventzke, V., Horstmann, M., Riekehr, S., Yashin, G., Stutz, L., Beck, W.: Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Laser Beam Welded Joints between Fine-Grained and Standard Ti-6Al-4V Sheets Subjected to Superplastic Forming. Advanced Engineering Materials 17 (2015) 374-382.
- Kashaev, N., Stock, H.-R., Mayr, P.: Assessment of the application potential of the intensified glow discharge for industrial plasma nitriding of Ti-6Al-4V. Surface and Coatings Technology 200 (2005) 502-506.
- Kashaev, N., Stock, H.-R., Mayr, P.: Plasmaborieren mit Triethylboran. HTM 58 (2003) 243-250.