Simulation of filling a cast spiral
The area of process technology comprises all activities concerned with the casting of magnesium-based materials. This applies not only to production of wrought and cast magnesium alloys but also to alloy development and further processing in the molten and partially fluid states. The main areas of research are:
- constitution of magnesium alloys,
- investigation of the castability of magnesium alloys, grain refinement, rheology, and hot tearing susceptibility,
- in situ solidification experiments with synchrotron radiation,
- development of high temperature-resistant magnesium materials, recycling alloys, biodegradable magnesium alloys, and nanoparticle reinforced magnesium composites,
- replacement of rare earths as alloying elements.