Roland Cormier holds an MSc in Biology from the “Université de Moncton” (Canada). He has more than 30 years of experience in fisheries stock assessment, shellfish sanitation, fish inspection, environmental assessment as well as coastal and oceans management. He has also published research papers in those fields.
He originally started to work for Fisheries and Oceans Canada doing biological research and conducting fisheries stock assessment on shrimp (Pandalus borealis) and snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio). Subsequently, his work focused on fish safety inspection sampling strategies, bi-valve bio-toxin monitoring programs and auditing of HACCP based programs. After the creation of the Canada Food Inspection Agency, he managed the conversion of legacy fish inspection information systems to Y2K compliant systems and has led the development of inspection information systems for the Fish Program in Canada. In his most recent position, he was the regional director for Ecosystem Management at Fisheries and Oceans with responsibilities for environmental assessment, integrated coastal and oceans management as well as species at risk. He also led centres of expertise in coastal management and risk management.
He is also a member of the International Council for the Exploration of Sea (ICES) Working Group on Marine Planning and Coastal Zone Management (WGMPCZM). He also acquired significant work experience in international program development and capacity building in developing countries during 4 years of work at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). He has recently joined the Group of Experts on Risk Management in Regulatory Systems of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
- Risk management frameworks in ecosystem approaches to management
- Bridging ISO standards to ecosystem approaches to management
- Policy-Science integration in legislation and standards development
- Integration of cultural ecosystem services criteria in environmental management
- Implementation of compliance verification and performance audits in environmental management
- Abspoel, L., Mayer, I., Keijser, X., Warmelink, H., Fairgrieve, R., Ripken, M., Abramic, A., Kannen, A., Cormier, R., & Kidd, S. (2019): Communicating Maritime Spatial Planning: The MSP Challenge approach. Marine Policy, doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2019.02.057
- Cormier, R., & Londsdale, J. (2019): Risk assessment for deep sea mining: An overview of risk. Marine Policy, 2019, 103485, doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2019.02.056
- Aps, R., Herkül K., Kotta, J., Cormier, R., Kostamo, K., Laamanen, L., Lappalainen, J., Lokko, K., Peterson, A., & Varjopuro, R. (2018): Marine environmental vulnerability and cumulative risk profiles to support ecosystem-based adaptive maritime spatial planning. ICES Journal of Marine Science, Volume 75, Issue 7, 1 December 2018, Pages 2488–2500, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsy101
- Cormier, R., Stelzenmüller, V., Creed, I.F., Igras, J., Rambo, H., Callies, U., & Johnson, L.B. (2018): The science-policy interface of risk-based freshwater and marine management systems: From concepts to practical tools. Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 226, 15 November 2018, Pages 340-346, doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.08.053
- Linke, J, M.-J. Fortin, S. Courtenay, and R. Cormier (2016): High-resolution global maps of 21st-century annual forest loss: independent accuracy assessment and application in a temperate forest region of Atlantic Canada. Remote Sensing of Environment, Volume 188, January 2017, pp. 164–176.
- Cormier, R., Kelble, C., Icarus Allen, J., Robin Anderson, M., Grehan, A. and Gregersen, O. Moving from ecosystem-based policy objectives to operational implementation of ecosystem-based management measures. – ICES Journal of Marine Science.
- Cormier, R., Kannen, A., Elliott, M. and Hall, P. 2015. Marine Spatial Planning Quality Management System. ICES Cooperative Research Report 327. 106pp.
- Cormier, R., Kannen, A., Austen, M., and Therriault, T. (Eds). 2016. Multidisciplinary perspectives in the use (and misuse) of science and scientific advice in marine spatial planning. ICES Cooperative Research Report 333.
- Cormier, R., Kannen, A., Austen, M., and Therriault, T. (2016): Chapter 1: Introduction. In: Multidisciplinary perspectives in the use (and misuse) of science and scientific advice in marine spatial planning. ICES Cooperative Research Report 333, pp. 1-4.
- Cormier, R., Kannen, A., Austen, M., and Therriault, T. (2016): Chapter 2: Multidisciplinary considerations. In: Multidisciplinary perspectives in the use (and misuse) of science and scientific advice in marine spatial planning. ICES Cooperative Research Report 333, pp. 5-8.
- Creed, I, R. Cormier (2016): Formal integration of science and management systems needed to achieve thriving and prosperous Great Lakes. BioScience. 66(5): 408-418.
- Gee K., Kannen, A., Adlam, R., Brooks, C., Chapman, M., Cormier, R., Fischer, C., Fletcher, S., Gubbins, M., Shucksmith, R., Shellock, R. (2016): Identifying culturally significant areas for marine spatial planning. Ocean and Coastal Management (accepted).
- Cormier, R. 2015. A Comprehensive Framework for Characterizing Cumulative Effects in Aquatic Ecosystems to Support Regional Environmental Assessments and Integrated Planning and Management. Contribution to Section III: Governance Experience and Issues for Managing Impacts. In: Managing the Impacts of Human Activities on Fish Habitat: The Governance, Practices, and Science. Ed: N. Fisher, P. LeBlanc, C.A. Rose, and B. Sadler, American Fisheries Society, ISBN-13: 978-1-934874-41-7. 264pp.
- De Kerckhove, D. T., Rennie, M. D., and Cormier, R. 2015. Censoring government scientists and the role of consensus in science advice. EMBO Reports, Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 263–266.
- Cormier, R., et al. 2013. Marine and coastal ecosystem-based risk management handbook. ICES Cooperative Research Report No. 317. 60 pp.
- Cormier, R., Davies, I., and Kannen, A. (Eds.) 2013. Integrated coastal-zone risk management. ICES Cooperative Research Report 320. 145 pp.
- Gimpel, A., V. Stelzenmüller, R. Cormier, J. Floeter, A. Temming. 2013. A spatially explicit risk approach to support marine spatial planning in the German EEZ. Marine Environmental Research 86 (2013) 56-69.
- Cormier, R.J., M. Mallet, S. Chiasson, H. Magnússon and G. Valdimarsson. 2007. Effectiveness and performance of HACCP based programs. Food Control 18(6): 665-671.
- Valdimarsson, G., R. Cormier and L. Ababouch. 2004. Fish safety and quality from the perspective of globalization. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology 13(3): 103-116.
- Cormier, R.J. 2002. Reliability concepts applied to the Canadian Quality Management Program. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. 11(1) 30-38.
Roland Cormier is associated with the research project SeaUseTip. Further information can be derived here: Projects