Dr. Martin Döring is a linguist and art historian by training. Having worked on different national and international projects dealing with environmental management and technology assessment, he joined the Department of Human Dimensions in Coastal Areas at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht and the Department of Integrative Geography at Hamburg University in 2013. Dr. Döring now works in topic 10 (risk assessment and risk management for climate adaptation strategies) of the Helmholtz REKLIM initiative. His research deals with the regional and local framing of climate change on the North Frisian coast and on the North Frisian islands and Halligen in Germany. The aim of Dr. Döring’s work is twofold: to analyse the regional aspects and social practices revolving around climate change and to develop bottom-up participative strategies for science in society.
Dr. Döring is a member of the Wadden Sea Forum Culture and Chair of the Wadden Sea Forum Energy, co-editor of the book series MatteRealities published by Transcript Bielefeld as well as co-editor of the online journal metaphorik.de.
- climate change perception
- socio-scientific coastal research
- science studies
- environmental discourses and eco-linguistics
- de Guttry, C., Döring, M., Ratter, B. (2016) Challenging the current climate change – migration nexus: exploring migrants’ perceptions of climate change in the hosting country. Die Erde 147 (2), 109-118.
- Süsser, Diana; Döring, Martin; Ratter, Beate (2016): Harvesting energy: Place and local entrepreneurship in community-based renewable energy transition, Energy Policy.
- Döring, M; Ratter, B.M.W. (2015): ’Heimat’ as a boundary object? Exploring the potentialities of a boundary object to instigate productive science-stakeholder interaction in North Frisia (Germany). In: Environmental Science & Policy Volume 54, pp. 448–455.
- Martin Döring, Francesca Zunino (2014): NatureCultures in Old and New Worlds. Steps towards an ecolinguistic perspective on framing a ‘new’ continent. Language Sciences 41, Part A, 34-40.
- Lydie Goeldner Gianella /Martin Döring (2012): Le paysage des polder allemands de la mer du Nord: de Limmobilisme au renuveau? In: Revue de Géographie Historique 2 (2012).
Dr. Martin Döring is part of the research project REKLIM. Further information can be found here: Projects