- Recent Research Topics: Circulation and wave modelling, coastal ocean predictions, coupled model systems, modelling of marine environment, wave dynamics, coastal and regional oceanography.
- Projects: Principle Investigator of national and international projects:
EU-FP5 Project: NUtrient Management in the DAnube Basin and its Impact on the Black Sea –DANUBS. Responsible for the modeling work package.
EU-FP6 Project: ASSEMBLAGE: ASSEssMent of the BLAck Sea sedimentary system since the last Glacial Extreme, EVK3-CT-2002-00090
EU-FP6 Project: Proposal N° 036949-2 SESAME: “Southern European Seas: Assessing and Modelling Ecosystem Changes” (2006-2010)
EU-FP6 Project: Proposal N° 036355-2 ECOOP: “European COastal-shelf sea OPerational observing and forecasting system (2007-2010)
DFG Research Project: “BioGeoChemistry of Tidal Flats” (2007-2009)
Monitoring and planning support of the German Bight, German Science Foundation
EU-FP7 UPGRDE BS-SCENE - BLACK SEA SCIENTIFIC NETWORK, 226592
EU-FP7 PERSEUS: Policy-oriented marine Environmental Research in the Southern EUropean Seas, 287600
EU-FP7 CoCoNET: Towards COast to COast NETworks of marine protected areas (from the shore to the high and deep sea), coupled with sea-based wind energy potential, Nr. 287844
German Funded Project: WIMO „Wissenschaftliche Monitoringkonzepte für die Deutsche Bucht, German Project“ - Monitoring Concepts for the German Bight‘
Responsible for TP19.4 in EU-FP7-MyOcean-2 Project : coupling wave and circulation models
Responsible for TP19.4 in EU-Horizon2020 MyOcean-FO Project: coupling wave and circulation models
PI of COPERNICUS BS-MFC Project – HZG is responsible for the wave modelling
Coordinator of COPERNICUS SE Project WAVE2NEMO
PI of CEASELESS H2020 project
Task Leader ESM
Since 11/2017 Group Leader: “Hydrodynamics and Data Assimilation”
- Previous positions: 2013-2017 Senior scientist, Topic Coordinator “Wave Modelling, Institute for Coastal Research, Helmholtz Centre Geesthacht (HZG), Germany.
2007-2013 Scientist: Climate System, Institute for Coastal Research, Helmholtz Centre Geesthacht (HZG), Germany.
2003-2007 PostDoc: Climate System Division, Alfred-Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Germany, University of Oldenburg, Germany.
1999-2000 Scientist: National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology, Bulgaria.
1998-1999 PostDoc: Écologie des Systèmes Aquatiques, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium.
1994-1998 Scientist: University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Education and Training: 1998 PhD in Physical Oceanography, Department of Meteorology and Geophysics, University of Sofia, Sofia, Bulgaria
1993 MSc in Meteorology and Geophysics, Department of Meteorology and Geophysics, University of Sofia, Sofia Bulgaria
- Schools: 1994 Regional Training Course on Strategies and Methodologies for Applied Marine Radioactivity and Environmental Isotope Studies for the Black Sea, Istanbul, Turkey.
1996 International School on Ecological Modelling. Erdemli, Turkey.
1998 NATO ASI on Ocean Modelling and parameterization, Les Houches, France.
1998 Course on Mediterranean Sea(s) Circulation and Ecosystem Functioning, The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy
2004 OceanWeather Forecasting. An Integrated view in Oceanography, La Londe Les Maures, France
- Selected Activities: Member of different editorial and scientific boards and reviewer of scientific programmers, projects (H2020, DFG, FP7) and journals.
Coordinator of the CMEMS Service Evolution Project Wave2NAMO
Principle Investigator (PI) in many international (e.g. H2020, CMEMS, FP7, FP4-6) and national (BMBF, DFG) funded projects.
Member of the GODAE The Coastal Ocean and Shelf Seas Task Team (COSS-TT)
Member NEMO Developer steering committee
Expert in Wave-NEMO modelling working group
Publications 2018 - 2019
Publications 2016 - 2017
Publications 2011 - 2015
Publications 1995 - 2010