• Development, implementation, maintenance of wave hindcast and forecast systems on all scales. Responsible for the distribution of the spectral third generation wave model WAM worldwide.
• Assimilation of satellite data into wave model fields
• Validation of wave model results with buoy and satellite data
• Ensemble predictions for ocean surface waves on the regional scale
Social media: follow me on Research gate
Projects : BS-MFC / CMEMS, CEASELESS, Wave2NEMO
Dr. Arno Behrens, born 1955 in Hamburg
1983: Diploma in Oceanography, University of Hamburg
1983 – 1986: Postgraduate, Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar Research, Bremerhaven
1986: Ph.D degree, University of Hamburg
since 1986: Scientist at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG, former GKSS)
Dr. Arno Behrens is research scientist at the HZG Institute of Coastal Research, currently in the department ‘Hydrodynamics and Data Assimilation’. He is working for many years in the field of wave modelling (mainly with the third generation wave model WAM) and is responsible at HZG for the development, implementation and maintenance of wave forecast systems that run operational at many institutes worldwide. He was involved in numerous commercial and scientific projects as for example in the EU-projects PROMISE, SEAROUTES, SAFEDOR, ADOPT, FIELD_AC, MYWAVE, DEMARINE and COSYNA. Currently responsible for the operational wave forecast routine for the Black Sea in the frame of the Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring System (CMEMS) including the Black Sea Monitoring and Forecasting Center (BS-MFC).
- Jan-Victor Björkqvist, Ingvar Lukas, Victor Alari, Gerbrant Ph. van Vledder, Sander Hulst, Heidi Pettersson, Arno Behrens, Aarne Männik, 2017: Comparing a 41-year model hindcast with decades of wave measurements from the Baltic Sea, arXiv:1705.00559v1 [physics.ao-ph]
- Staneva, J., Wahle, K., Koch, W., Behrens, A., Fenoglio-Marc, L., and Stanev, E. V. (2016): Coastal flooding: impact of waves on storm surge during extremes – a case study for the German Bight, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 16, 2373-2389
- Pleskachevsky, A., Gebhardt, C., Rosenthal, W., Lehner, S., Hoffmann, P., Kiesre, J., Bruns, T., Lindenthal, A., Janssen, F. and Behrens, A., 2015: Satellite-Based Radar Measurements for Validation of Highresolution Sea State Forecast Models in the German Bight, ISRE-36, The 36th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, 11-15 May 2015, Berlin, Germany.
- Behrens, A., 2015: Development of an ensemble prediction system for ocean surface waves in a coastal area. Ocean Dynamics, Volume 63, Issue 4 (2015), pp 469-486
- Staneva, J., Behrens, A. and Groll, N., 2014: Recent Advances in Wave Modelling for the North Sea and German Bight, Die Küste 81/2014, 233 – 254
- Kieser, J., Bruns, T., Lindenthal, A., Brüning, T., Janssen, F., Behrens, A., Li, X.-M. Lehner, S. and Pleskachevsky, A., 2013: First studies with the high resolution coupled wave current model CWAM and other aspects of the project sea state monitor, 13th international workshop on wave hindcasting and forecasting – and 4th coastal hazard symposium, Banff, Canada
- Samedo, A., Weisse, R., Behrens, A., Sterl, A., Bengtsson, L. and Günther, H. , 2013: Projection of global wave climate change towards the end of the 21st century, Journal of Climate (AMS – American Meterological Society), Vol 26, pp 8269-8288
- Soomere, T., Weisse, R. and Behrens, A., 2012: Wave climate in the Arkona Basin, the Baltic Sea. Ocean Sci., 8, 287-300, 2012, doi:10.5194/os-8-287-2012 is available at (open access)
- Wahle, K., Behrens, A. and Günther, H., 2011: Near coastal wave modelling in the German Bight and Wadden Sea . In: 12th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting & 3rd Coastal Hazard Symposium. Hawaii, October 30 – November 4, 2011
- Samedo, A., Behrens, A., Bengtsson, L., Günther, H., Sterl, A. and Weisse, R., 2011: Impact of a Warmer Climate on the Global Wave Field. In: 12th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting & 3rd Coastal Hazard Symposium. Hawaii, October 30 – November 4, 2011
- Lalbeharry, R., Behrens, A., Guenther, H. and Wilson, L., 2009: Matching of Coastal and Open Ocean Wave Models in a Mesoscale Application over Lake Erie, Atmosphere-Ocean, Vol 47 (3) 2009, pp 184-203
- Behrens, A., Günther, H., 2009: Operational wave prediction of extreme storms in Northern Europe, Natural Hazards, Volume 49, Issue2 (2009), Page 387 – 399
- Soomere, T., Behrens, A., Tuomi, L., and Nielsen, J. W., 2008: Wave conditions in the Baltic Proper and in the Gulf of Finland during windstorm Gudrun, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 8, 37-46, 2008
- Lalbeharry, R.; Behrens, A.; Guenther, H.; Wilson, L., 2004: An evaluation of wave model performances with linear and nonlinear dissipation source terms in Lake Erie. In: 8th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. Oahu, HI (USA), 14.-19.11.2004
- Behrens, A, 2002: Seegangsvorhersage. In: Promet. Vol. 28, Heft 1/2, 17 - 23
- Riethmueller, R. ; Behrens, A. ; Gassenmaier, G. ; Gayer, G. ; Guenther, H.; Puls, W.; Rosenthal, W.; Rybaczok, P. ; Witte, G.; Ziemer, F.; Herbers, D.; Baumert, H., 1999: The PROMISE / Sylt-Roemoe data set - a comprehensive bench-mark data set to test and evaluate numerical models for suspended sediment transport in shallow tidal lagoons
- Behrens, A., 1998: Wave spectral data from numerical wave models: A comparison of wave model results for the Baltic Sea, obtained by a second- and a third-generation wave model. In: Cost Conference on Provision and Engineering/Operational Application of Ocean Wave Spectra. Paris (F), September 21-25, 1998
- Behrens, A.; Gayer, G.; Guenther, H.; Rosenthal, W., 1997: Atlas der Strömungen und Wasserstände in der Sylt-Romo-Bucht. GKSS 97/E/21
- Behrens, A.; Schrader, D., 1994: The wave forecast system at the Deutscher Wetterdienst and the Bundesamt fuer Seeschiffahrt und Hydrographie: A verification using ERS-1 altimeter and scatterometer data. Ocean Dynamics. Vol. 46 (1994) 2, 131-149.
- Behrens, A., 1994: A long term comparison between ERS-1 satellite data and numerical wind and wave model forecast results. In: Oceanic Engineering Society (OES) of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (Ed.): Oceans 94 Osates. Brest (F), September 13-16, 1994. 1, 70-75. Behrens, A.; Koch, W., 1993: GEOSAT satellite data in comparison with wave model results and ocean winds. GKSS 93/E/22.
- Behrens, A.; Schrader, D., 1993: ERS-1 satellite data in comparison with wind and wave model forecast results. In: Proceedings of the 2nd ERS-1 Symposium: Space at the service of our environment. Hamburg (D), October 11-14, 1993. 2, 1155-1160.
- Stockdreher, E.; Behrens, A.; Koch, W.; Ziemer, F., 1989: A study on ship route optimization: measurement and simulations. In: Blake, M. (Ed.): CAMS '89: IFAC Workshop on Expert Systems and Signal Processing in Marine Automation. Lyngby (DK), August 28-30, 1989. 247-258. (ISBN: 8777480007).
- Behrens, A.; Koch, W., 1989: GEOSAT satellite data in comparison with wave model results and ocean winds. In: 2nd International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. Vancouver (CDN), April 25-28, 1989.
- Behrens, A., 1988: WAMS applied to a Ness storm. In: 6th WAM-Meeting of the Wave Modelling Group. Paris (F), March 21-24, 1988.