Research Software Developer / Scientist Deep Learning for X-ray Tomography
|Start of announcement||14.07.2020|
|End of announcement||12.08.2020|
|Institute or department||Institute of Materials Research|
|Apply now||Go to applicant portal|
|Applicant management||Frau Erika Krüger|
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG) operates an outstation at DESY in Hamburg in order to provide access to highly brilliant synchrotron radiation within its German Engineering Materials Science Center (GEMS). At the PETRA III synchrotron radiation source, HZG jointly operates the High Energy Materials Science Beamline (HEMS, P07), the Imaging Beamline (IBL, P05) and the Nanofocus Endstation of Micro- and Nanofocus X-ray Scattering Beamline (MINAXS, P03) along with supporting laboratory instrumentation.
HZG is a partner in the collaborative Helmholtz.AI funded project ‘Universal Segmentation Framework’ (UNISEF). The project involves the development and implementation of methods for the optimization of X-ray tomography datasets. This includes the automatic selection of the most suitable deep-learning segmentation architecture, a guided interactive and iterative strategy for the annotation of training data, and the deployment of a browser-based service. Furthermore, the development and implementation of novel deep learning architectures for the segmentation of identical objects (instance segmentation) is addressed.
We invite applications for a Research Software Developer / Scientist (m/f/d) Deep Learning for X-ray Tomography in our outstation at DESY Hamburg. The position is initially limited to 2 years. The place of employment is Hamburg.
- development and implementation of quality metrics for the evaluation of deep-learning based segmentations
- development and implementation of convergence criteria for the interactive annotation strategy
- implementation of a pipeline for semi-automatic segmentation (2D)
- implementation of a pipeline for fully automated denoising of images
- integration of above methods in a web service and the HPC environment at DESY
- annotation of tomographic data for the training of neural networks
- application of the developed algorithms and framework
- collaborate closely with project partners and the Helmholtz.AI framework
- publish and present scientific results at international conferences and workshops
- master degree (or higher) in computer science, physics, mathematics, life science or equivalent
- knowledge in the areas of artificial intelligence, deep/machine learning and image processing
- strong background in deep learning and software/algorithm development
- fluent in modern programming languages
- experience with web services and frameworks is an asset
- experience in X-ray tomography is an asset
- good spoken and written command of the English language
- team player with good communication skill.
For further questions, contact
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 1,000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i.a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Interested? Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number 2020/WP 6. Please use the following registration link to upload your complete application documents:
Closing date for applications is August 12th, 2020.