PhD Position (m/f/d) in Experimental Materials Science/Nanomaterials
|Start of announcement||05.03.2020|
|End of announcement||05.04.2020|
|Institute||Institute of Materials Research|
|Contact person||Erika Krüger|
The Hybrid Materials Systems Group of the Institute of Materials Research at Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is offering a 3-years PhD position (m/f/d) in the area of experimental materials science.
The focus will be on the synthesis of metallic nanomaterials by electrochemical corrosion and on exploring their properties. As a primary objective, protocols for the reproducible preparation of monolithic bodies of nested network nanostructures with two or three levels of structural hierarchy will be established. Pioneering studies on the mechanical and functional properties of these materials are envisaged. The PhD work will be embedded in a team with international visibility in the fields of metallic nanomaterials in interface science, and the prospective candidates will have the opportunity to interact closely with experimentalists and theoreticians in the Coordinated Research Area SFB 986 “Taylor-Made Multiscale Materials Systems”. The place of employment is Geesthacht.
- development of protocols for electrochemical dealloying of metal alloys leading to the formation of network nanomaterials with several levels of structural hierarchy
- microstructure characterization using scanning electron microscopy, x-ray small angle scattering and in-house x-ray nano tomography
- electrochemical and mechanical characterization
- developing an understanding of the link between the structure at each length scale and the functional and mechanical materials behavior
- publication and presentation of your scientific results in international scientific journals and at international conferences and Workshops
- masters degree in materials science, materials physics or materials chemistry
For inquiries, please contact:
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 1000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- opportunity to enroll in a PhD program at Hamburg University of Technology
- opportunity to enroll in the graduate schools of the Coordinated Research Area SFB 986 and of the Hamburg Center for Advanced Materials
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents including your CV, description of your scientific and work expertise, list of publications if existing, and copies of credentials (B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.) including grades indicating the reference number code no. 2020/WM 1. WM 1. Please use the following registration link to upload your complete application documents
Closing date for applications is April 5th, 2020.