Scientist (m/f/d) for neutron scattering instrument development
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||22.01.2020|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||23.02.2020|
|Institut||Institut für Werkstoffforschung|
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG) operates the German Engineering Materials Science Centre (GEMS), a centre for synchrotron and neutron radiation materials research. Recently Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is involved in two projects dealing with neutron scattering instrumentation at new neutron sources. The Cremlinplus project is looking into instrumentation for a reactor based neutron source in Russia and the High Brilliance neutron Source (HBS) project is dealing with instruments at a new planned compact accelerator driven neutron source in Germany.
Within this framework we are looking for a PostDoc as Scientist (m/f/d) for neutron scattering instrument development. You will work in close co-operation with the project partners, e.g. the PNPI or the Forschungszentrum Jülich. The position will initially be limited to four years.
You will be responsible for the development of neutron scattering instruments by numerical calculation and Monte-Carlo ray-tracing simulations. The emphasis will be on the development of neutron instruments for engineering materials research, e.g. the analysis of stress and texture.
- development of instrument concepts
- numerical calculation of instrument performance
- simulation of instrument performance with Monte-Carlo ray-tracing programmes
- virtual experiments to validate the instrument performance
- pursue own scientific research in the field of engineering materials science within the scope of our Helmholtz programme-oriented funding
- presenting and publishing scientific results
- PhD in physics or a related discipline
- experience with neutron scattering instrumentation
- experience with Monte-Carlo ray-tracing programmes (e.g. McStas, Vitess)
- background knowledge with diffraction techniques
- background knowledge in materials science, especially with residual stress and texture analysis will be beneficial
- team spirit
- very good communication skills
- good English language skills
- Russian language skills will be benificial
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 1000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents including your CV, description of your scientific and work expertise, list of publications if existing, and copies of credentials (B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.) including grades indicating the reference number code no. 2020/WP 1. Closing date for applications is February 23rd, 2020.