PhD position (m/f) in the research area of ocean colour remote sensing and phytoplankton in coastal waters
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||30.07.2018|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||16.09.2018|
|Institut||Institut für Küstenforschung|
The Institute of Coastal Research investigates the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of the coastal ocean and the impact of anthropogenic influences on the natural state.
The Remote Sensing Group at the Institute of Coastal Research of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht has an open PhD position (m/f) for coastal phytoplankton research based on remote sensing of ocean colour. We are interested in the spatial and temporal patterns of algal blooms in coastal seas, especially their origin and phenology in relation to storm or flood events. Satellites sensors provide adequate ocean colour observations on different spatiotemporal scales in a challenging environmental within optically complex waters, stratification, and coastal bathymetry. The biological response due to events will be quantified using additional oceanographic and climatological data.
We invite applications for a PhD position (m/f) in the research area of ocean colour remote sensing and phytoplankton in coastal waters with preferred starting date on November 1st, 2018. The position is initially limited to three years with the degree being awarded through the University of Kiel. The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- utilization of satellite ocean colour data with focus on Sentinel-2/MSI, Sentinel-3/OLCI, and climatological data
- investigate spatial and seasonal patterns of phytoplankton in coastal waters of North and Baltic Sea and global shelf seas
- investigate phytoplankton distribution and optical diversity
- analyse short and long term drivers of phytoplankton growth and blooms
- presentation of results in scientific publications and on international conferences
- MSc/MEng in aquatic/marine or atmospheric science, geography, physics or related fields
- experience in optical remote sensing and ocean colour
- experience with data analysis and programming (python, matlab)
- willingness to participate in measurement campaigns, e.g. on board research vessels or airplanes
- demonstrated interest in a scientific career
- excellent communication skills and team player
- excellent knowledge of English (German is of additional advantage)
For further questions please contact
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (for instance, expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany’s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code no. 2018/KO 4
including your CV, a list of publications, description of research experience and goals, and a list of up to three references to
Closing date for applications is September, 16th, 2018.