PhD student (m/f)
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||27.06.2018|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||15.08.2018|
|Institut||Institut für Küstenforschung|
The Institute of coastal research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes with specific expertise in modelling of atmospheric and marine biogeochemistry and interactions between different environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht we develop numerical models with the aim to determine the past and current state of the environment and to identify the major drivers for future changes in the system. In the frame of the EU and COPERNICUS- funded projects coastal modelling activities are carried out. They go in parallel with demonstrations on how the new satellite data, together with state of the art modelling can be used to support further the regional and coastal oceanography. In cooperation with internationally recognized institutions in Europe new methodologies will be developed and further introduced into coupled model suites (wind wave-surge-current interplay) that will produce new standards for coastal models and data analyses. A strong emphasis will be laid on extremes, and improving predictability in the coastal areas.
For these activities Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is looking for a highly motivated PhD student (m/f) with knowledge and experience in modelling and data analyses. The position is initially limited to 3 years. The successful candidate is expected to conduct research focused on both data analyses and numerical simulations. A strong emphasis will be laid on extremes, and improving predictability in the coastal areas.
- Master degree in oceanography, atmospheric sciences, environmental sciences, physics, mathematics, or related disciplines
- experience in ocean and/or wave and/or atmosphere modelling is desirable
- experience in scientific programming with FORTRAN and related analysing programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, R or Python) would be an advantage
- knowledge of English (written and oral); good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of various fields of geosciences
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code-no. 2018/KS 8
including your CV, description of your scientific expertise, publication list, copies of credentials including grades, and names and addresses of three academic referees by e-mail in one pdf-file not larger than 10 MB to
The closing date for applications is August 15th, 2018.