Scientist (m/f) In the research project Digital Earth
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||11.06.2018|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||09.07.2018|
|Institut||Institut für Küstenforschung|
The advancement of Earth system understanding critically depends on the better integration of data and knowledge from different Earth science disciplines. In the Helmholtz Association project Digital Earth, natural and data scientists work closely together to gain new insights from the ever-growing amount and variety of research data using novel concepts and methods. They are looking for solutions, in particular with regard to the processing of fast-growing, multi-parameter data through employing existing Data Science methods, adapting new algorithms and developing digital workflows tailored to specific scientific needs. Digital Earth integrates the competences of all eight Helmholtz Centers in the research field Earth and Environment.
More information about the project can be found at
We invite applications for a Scientist position (m/f) in the research project Digital Earth of the Helmholtz Association’s Earth and Environment research field. The position is to be filled as soon as possible, preferably not later than August 1, 2018 and is initially limited to three years.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- develop innovative digital workflows in order to employ new data science methods for data exploration such as deep learning algorithms and visualisation of 4-dimensional earth system data in support to facilitated data interpretation
- develop methods for pattern recognition in large model data sets like 4D ocean general circulation model results and connect them to diverse observational data sets
- support development of visualization and visual analysis tools
- develop an evaluation framework and monitoring process for Digital Earth workflows and outputs for scientific use in close cooperation with the other Helmholtz Earth and Environment Centers, and for practical applications in risk analyses and vulnerability assessments
- representation of the Institute of Coastal Research at the HZG and Digital Earth at scientific conferences, workshops and meetings, scientific and technical publications in international peer-reviewed research journals
- a university degree in mathematics, computer science, informatics, oceanography, physics, meteorology or other related discipline in natural sciences and earth science
- excellent knowledge of at least one programming language such as C, R, Fortran, Java or Python as well as working with Linux/Unix computer environments
- experience in evaluation of scientific workflows and outcomes
- sound knowledge of English and proficiency in German
- good communication skills
- willingness to work in an international and interdisciplinary team at the Institute of Coastal Research
- a record of peer reviewed publications in order to demonstrate the skill to publish the work in scientific journals
- knowledge and experiences in data science methods and their application in earth system science
- experience in the analysis of large 4-dimensional observational and/or model data sets
- experience in integrating observation and modelling data from different disciplines and earth compartments across different spatial scales
- experience in earth system or climate modelling
For further questions please contact
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (for instance, expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany’s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code no. 2018/KO 2
including your CV, a list of publications, description of research experience and goals, and a list of up to three references to
Closing date for applications is July, 9th, 2018.