PhD student position (m/f) in Ecosystem Modelling
|Start of announcement||08.06.2018|
|End of announcement||08.07.2018|
|Contact person||Erika Krüger|
The Institute of coastal research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht invites applications for a 3-year PhD student position (m/f) in Ecosystem Modelling. The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The objective of the position is to improve the mechanistic understanding of spatial gradients and temporal changes in benthic and pelagic ecosystem dynamics. The successful candidate will use available monitoring data for the southern North Sea. She/He will apply and further develop adaptive and trait-based models for macrobenthic fauna embedded into an existing coupled model of benthic and pelagic processes
Applicants with a degree in environmental or related sciences and a background in modelling and ecology or biogeochemistry are encouraged to apply. The candidate should demonstrate strong writing skills. She/ He will benefit from related graduate activities and programs in Geesthacht and at the University of Kiel.
The Ecosystem Modelling group at the Institute for Coastal Research is one of the leading players in the field of trait-based ecosystem modeling (www.hzg.de/ecomod).
For further details please contact
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code-no. 2018/KS 6
including your CV, a brief statement of research, and addresses of two referees by e-mail in one pdf-file to
The closing date for applications is July 8th, 2018.