PhD Position (m/f)
|Start of announcement||25.05.2018|
|End of announcement||22.06.2018|
|Institute||Institute of Coastal Research|
|Contact person||Erika Krüger|
PhD Position (m/f) at the group for Matter Transport and Ecosystem Dynamics at the Department of System Analysis and Modelling
code no. 2018/KST 1
The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The Institute of coastal research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes with specific expertise in modelling of atmospheric and marine biogeochemistry and interactions between different environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht we develop numerical models with the aim to determine the past and current state of the environment and to identify the major drivers for future changes in the system.
The working group for Matter Transport and Ecosystem Dynamics at the Department of System Analysis and Modelling invites applications for a PhD position (m/f). The position will be aiming at understanding the role of food-web interactions for the functioning of coastal ecosystem dynamics by employing and further developing the 3d coupled model ECOSMO E2E. The objective of the position is to further develop the higher trophic level food-web components of the model emphasizing on the relevance of different feeding guilds and apex predators for trophic carbon transfer and its role for ecosystem dynamics on seasonal to multidecadal timescales. The position is limited to 36 months.
- further development and validation of the higher trophic level components in a 3d ecosystem model in the North Sea and Baltic Sea region
- performance of hindcast model simulations
- analysis of model results with respect to the role of different fish functional groups for changes in ecosystem dynamics
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external academic partners
- write scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- presentation of results at meetings and international conferences
- Master in oceanography, geosciences, marine biology, environmental sciences or related disciplines
- thorough knowledge on marine ecosystem functioning
- interest in marine ecosystem modelling
- experience in scientific programming with FORTRAN and related analysing programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, R, Python) and basic knowledge modelling of dynamic systems would be an advantage
- knowledge of English (written and oral)
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of various fields of geosciences
For further questions please contact Dr. Ute Daewel: email@example.com.
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code-no. 2018/KST 1
including your CV, description of your scientific expertise, publication list, copies of credentials including grades, and names and addresses of three academic referees by e-mail in one pdf-file not larger than 10 MB to