PhD Position (m/f) in numerical modelling of organic pollutants in the marine environment
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||09.10.2017|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||05.11.2017|
|Institut||Institut für Küstenforschung|
The Institute of coastal research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes with specific expertise in modelling of atmospheric and marine biogeochemistry and interactions between different environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht we develop numerical models with the aim to determine the past and current state of the environment and to identify the major drivers for future changes in the system.
The objective of this position is to develop and implement a mechanism representing the chemical transformation of persistent organic pollutants (POPs) into our existing earth system modelling framework in order to identify major transport pathways. The focus of the PhD position (m/f) will be on POPs with significance for marine ecosystems, their chemical degradation, physical removal (air-sea exchange, sedimentation), and biologcial uptake in the marine food web. The work will be integrated into a European research project under the European network for observing our changeing planet (ERA-PLANET). The duration of the position is 36 months. The place of employment is Geesthacht.
- analysis of existing datasets from environmental monitoring and laboratory studies
- identification of substances of interest
- development of a chemical mechanism for POPs in the aquatic environment
- applying and modifying existing numerical models to simulate transport and fate of organic pollutants
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external academic partners
- scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- presentations on project meetings and international conferences
- a strong background in marine chemistry, physical oceanography, geosciences, environmental sciences or related disciplines
- basic scientific programming skills
- good knowledge of English (written and oral)
- high degree of creativity and flexibility; ability to work under pressure
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of various fields of geosciences
For further questions please contact Dr. Johannes Bieser (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application (in English) indicating job offer
code no. 2017/KS 13
including a short letter of motivation, description of research experience, CV together with a list of publications and copies of relevant certificates preferably by e-mail in one file not larger than 10 MB to
Closing date for applications is November, 5th, 2017.