Senior Scientist (m/f)
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||04.10.2017|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||01.11.2017|
|Institut||Climate Service Center|
The Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS), a scientific organizational entity of the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Centre for Materials and Coastal Research, invites applications for a Senior Scientist (m/f) in 75% part-time (full-time is also possible), as soon as possible, as part of the EU Horizon 2020 funded activity “European Climate Prediction system” (EUCP). The position is limited till 30.11.2021. The place of employment is Hamburg.
EUCP aims at producing actionable climate information for risk-based planning. The overarching objective of EUCP is to develop an innovative European regional ensemble climate prediction system based on a new generation of improved and typically higher-resolution climate models, covering timescales from seasons to decades initialised with observations, and designed to support practical and strategic climate adaptation and mitigation decision-taking on local, national and global scales.
Areas of responsibilities:
- lead the engagement with business, policy and decision makers
- contribute to the review of user needs of the EUCP service
- lead the process of post-processing and transferring a large portfolio of extreme event simulations in a format usable by impact scientists
- contribute thematically and technically to the progress of the development of the simulation strategies for evaluation and production simulations within EUCP
- compile scientific and technical publications of the findings of the different areas in related international peer-reviewed research journals
Profile of qualifications:
- a university degree in meteorology, physics, maths or other related disciplines in natural sciences and Earth science is essential. A Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline would be beneficial
- experience in engaging with business, policy and decision makers
- experience in communicating scientific results to scientists of the vulnerability, impact, adaptation and climate services community
- extensive experience in post-processing of climate data for scientific application
- familiarity with the analysis of data sets from climate models. Profound knowledge in appropriate programming languages such as Python and R and experience with Linux/Unix computer environments
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English (German language skills are beneficial), as well as a record of peer reviewed publications in order to demonstrate the skill to publish the work in scientific journals
- willingness to work in an international and interdisciplinary team at the Climate Service Center Germany. Interest beyond the pure scientific analysis of data and processes is expected as the focus of our center is on the provision of decision making knowledge
Informal enquiries can be directed to
We offer you:
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer
code-no. 2017/CS 11
including your CV, description of your scientific expertise, publication list, copies of credentials including grades, and names and addresses of three academic referees preferably by e-mail in one file not larger than 10 MB to
Closing date for application is November, 1st, 2017.