A-H I-O P-Z
On this page you can find explanations of terms that are associated with the library. The list is still in progress and therefore does not have to all listed terms word explanations.
- Acquisition Members of Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht are encouraged to suggest publications that they think the library should purchase and add to the collection. You may find the library acquisitions form in the intranet.
- AMB This is the German Association of Marine Science Libraries and Information Centers (GAMSLIC).
GAMSLIC is an informal group of German special libraries and information centers within the marine sciences and is also part of the international associations EURASLIC and IAMSLIC.
- Arrangement of the media (see: location ...)
- Article search To find the relevant articles for your field of research, we recommend the following literature databases:. Web of Science, Scopus und SciFinder.
- Book purchasing
- Book scanner The book scanner may be used. Please ask the library team and pay attention to the copyright law.
- Database infosystem (DBIS) The Database-Infosystem (DBIS) is a co-operative service for the use of scientific databases offered by German, Austrian and Swiss libraries (in German language)
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (German National Library)
- Document delivery services Besides the free interlibrary loan you may get articles and books also from SUBITO or Getinfo, which are fee required document delivery services. SUBITO and Getinfo orders will be carried out by the library.
- Ebook Central (s. Proquest Ebook Central)
- Electronic Journals Most of our journals are available online. They are listed in the "Electronic Journals Library" (EZB).
- Electronic Journals Library (EZB)
- Endnote Please contact the IT Department, if you are interested in the reference management system EndNote.
- Guest researcher Please fill out a guest researcher form to become a registered user of the library.
- GVK - GBV Union Catalogue This is the union catalogue (GVK) of seven German federal states and the Foundation of Prussian Cultural Heritage participating in the Common Library Network (GBV). You may get publications via Interlibrary Loan. ILL-orders will be carried out by the library.
- German National Library (Deutsche Nationalbibliothek)
- Getinfo GetInfo is the portal for science and technology and provides access to more than 160 million data sets from specialised databases, publishers and library catalogues. GetInfo orders are carried out by the library.
- Google Scholar For your literature research the library recommends the additional use of specialized databases "Web of Science", "Scopus" and "Scifinder".
- Hirsch Index (H-Index)
- HZG Reports
- Library acquisitions form (Intranet)
- Library catalogue The catalogue of Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht contains records of all existing books, CD-ROMs, etc. in the library and print editions of journals and magazines. Accessible online journals are only partially included. Please use the Electronic Journals Library (EZB)
- Library holdings Approximately 44.000 volumes (monographs, reports, bound volumes of periodicals and standard specifications) We subscribe to approximately 110 print-journals. Additional periodicals are available online. Web of Science and Journal Citation Reports are available as an intranet solution (Web of Knowledge). Monographs and periodicals are usually kept readily available on an open-shelf basis.
- Library regulations
- Library team
- Library tour Please contact the head of library!
- Literature search
- Location of media in the library Books, journals, reports and standards are shelved separately in the library.
Monographs can be found in the main reading room or in the stack-room next to the main reading room.. They are arranged by subjects using location marks. Signpostings on the front side of the shelfs show the subject areas.
Bound volumes of journals may be found in the basement stacks. They are arranged alphabetically by title. Please ask us!
- Marks The location marks (or signatures) on the spine of the books consist of two parts (e.g. Mwt 2. Horn). The upper row (letters and numbers) denotes the book’s subject area. The bottom row indicates the book’s author or editor. Related media will be found in the same group or subject.
- National licenses for electronic media
- Reading room
- Reference collection Publications of the reference collection (red mark on the spine) may be borrowed for three days.
- Reference management systems (see also Endnote) Reference managers (also called "bibliographic software" or "citation managers") are designed to track where you found a particular idea, picture, fact, or quote so it can be properly cited later. In addition they organize your references by research project in your own searchable database and import references from online databases, library catalogs, journal indexes and web sites.
Please contact the IT Department, if you are interested in the reference management system EndNote.
- Reference works (German link list)
- Registration As a registered user (“Umlaufzettel” or guest researcher form) you may borrow media from the library collection.
- Renewal (of the loan period)
- Reservation (of media)
- Return (of media)
- RÖMPP Online (German)
(Access to the RÖMPP encyclopaedias, mainly chemistry)
- Shelf classification
- SciFinder (Chemical Abstracts) For a Scifinder account please contact the head of library!
SciVerse Scopus is the world’s largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature.
- Specialized information
- Standards (Beuth, DIN, ISO, BS, ANSI, ASTM…) To order standards please use the library acquisitions form.
- Storage library
Besides the free interlibrary loan you may get articles and books also from SUBITO, a fee required document delivery service.
SUBITO orders will be carried out by the library.
- Theses (link list)
- Theses (German, dissonline) The dissonline portal has been integrated into the catalog of the German National Library. The electronic dissertations can be found there.
- Theses at HZG
- Training We offer trainings for the following subjects:
- General training for using the library/ library guidance
- Ttraining to work with book scanner
- Literature search in the Internet
- Basics to research in Web of Science
Please contact the Head of Library!
- Visitors External visitors are welcome and allowed to use the library as a non-lending library.
Service times: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Web of Knowledge
- Web of Science (bibliographical data with abstracts from 1900 until today; former Science Citation Index Expanded)
- WEKA internet solution (in German language)
- WoS (Web of Science)
- ZDB (online catalogue of the periodicals database)
Here you will find references to journals and newspapers (including electronic ones) and other periodicals, but without articles. The publications in the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht Library inventory are listed under the names of the libraries where they are located ->
HAM <Gt 1> Geesthacht HZG.) .